About Me

Chicago, Il, United States
I'm a simple man from the city of wind as we so lovingly call it. For those that don't know i'm talking about CHICAGO. My home, my world, my town. I'm crass, i'm rude, and i'm disgusting. Yet i'm also very spiritual, loving and down to earth. Above all i'm honest.

Friday, September 28, 2012

7 Days Post Op....and beyond

My new best friends for a while,
baby spoons
One week ago today, I completed the first leg of a journey I started a little under 2 years ago. A journey that will only end when my days on this earth are over. So after 34 years of age I decided to undergo Weight Loss Surgery. This decision was mine and mine alone. My decisions were selfish, self serving and probably tinged with a lot of vanity.. Hey, it was MY decision so fuck you and your uneducated and uninformed disparaging comment making ass.

Re fried beans and chicken pureed
Some people may wonder what led me to this decision. I mean if you know me you know that walking was not painful. I don't have high blood pressure. Hell in fact my current blood pressure is probably better than 90% of those who may read this. I'm not worried about fitting into the latest fashions. I wasn't unhappy with me. The big guy in the room. The teddy bear for all the kids (and a few adults). So why...

Well simply put, I wanted the best life I can possibly have. I wanted longevity. 
Re fried beans and chicken pureed

 For those that know me, they'll be able to tell you that I've never been a sedentary individual. I stayed active. I was in the gym 2-3 days a week. I could go for 45 mins straight on the elliptical machine and not have a heart attack at the end of a session. I've spent several weekends at U.S. Cellular just walking around watching the game. No ill affects.  I've done the dieting and food logs and fad diets. Yet the weight remained. I needed another option. So before the rest of the illnesses of old age and extra weight I took a leap.

Now there are a few of you who may read this and be skeptical of those claims. Especially about all that I did and still did not lose any weight. My response.  Women can have kids, yet men can't. Think on it.

Pureed Chicken
I chose to do this for me. Was it an easy decision?. Fuck no! 
Was I in pain? YEP!!! (laughing hurts like hell and I'm a FULL body laugher)
Am I still in pain? No. as of this moment I've got a dull ache in my stomach. Been off pain meds since Tuesday night.
Uncomfortable at night?. Like you wouldn't believe. I haven't been able to hold my wife at night in bed for over a week. (And my 3 year anniversary was this past week)
My shelf in the fridge, all pureed foods
and pudding
Do I regret my decision? NOT ON YOUR LIFE.. Simply because, this decision was made with the clearest of minds and the openest of hearts. 

The decision to have the Duodenal switch was mine and mine alone. Yet I'm sure it will benefit countless others around me. It has already help my wife. Simply because by me getting healthier she will by proxy. 

Food Scale 3
(no more than 2oz a meal)
My friends may benefit as well simply because now I'll probably be the only one sober at the end of a night out.

Some will be shocked that I went this route. Others will want to know why they weren't informed prior to my surgical date. And yet still a small handful will throw shade on my decision in its entirety. No feelings were meant to be hurt but if you know me well enough you'll know the answers to these questions. 

So what does the future hold for me? At this point 7 Days Post Op. Who knows? Sky is the limit. Am I afraid? Nope.. This simply helps me to lose weight. The onus is still on me to follow through. Simply because I can still gain weight. It happens all the time.. To make this decision. It takes courage. It takes will and most importantly a TON of dedication and support. You have to say and commit to doing things that you've probably never done before.
Vitamins I will be on for life
And here I am, 7 Days into the second greatest journey of my life (marriage is number 1), with a smile on my face and arms open wide, welcoming all challenges..










1 comment: