About Me

Chicago, Il, United States
I'm a simple man from the city of wind as we so lovingly call it. For those that don't know i'm talking about CHICAGO. My home, my world, my town. I'm crass, i'm rude, and i'm disgusting. Yet i'm also very spiritual, loving and down to earth. Above all i'm honest.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Fallacy of the Reciprocity of Expectations

I read something today that got me to thinking. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The golden rule as its been called. This statement has always been the tenet of an upright and moral life. And who wouldn't want to live like this. I mean really. If i do you a turn you should do me a turn, as the phrase goes. Right!?! We all deserve the treatment we get from others I mean if I've never done you wrong why should you do me wrong. This is a comment sentiment, right? RIGHT!?!?!
WRONG!?!?!?

We expect reciprocity, don't we. I mean as human being's its in our nature to expect it. Oxford dictionary defines it as "the practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit, especially privileges granted by one country or organization to another."  Now if you don't like this definition, cause it seems harsh, look at it this way. Favor and revenge are different versions of reciprocity. Get it now. Now this statement is an admiral statement to live by, except we over look a key 

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Reciprocity is IMPLIED but its not STATED or DEMANDED...  Just because you loan me $5 doesn't when I needed it doesn't  mean I'll loan you $5 when you need it. You did as the book said you did unto me, as you would have me do unto you. Perfect. Your job is done. Don't expect that kindness to be repaid. If you're only being kind because you expect others to be kind to you, well, you're living a lie. Yea I said it. you're living a LIE!! Do it because its WHO YOUR ARE, not because you hope to have someone return the favor when it's your turn. That's selfishness. 

Think about it! The ultimate acts of genuine kindness are those acts when they are done JUST BECAUSE. That friend that treated you to dinner, or the wife that bought you the new book by your favorite author, just because. This is the true embodiment of doing unto others. You do it cause you would HAVE them do the same for you, but you don't expect it. If you understand and accept that some people will do things only for personal gain, you'll learn a very valuable thing. When you do for someone just cause its WHO you are, the universe will pay you back in kind. 

Give with an open heart, and your blessings will follow. They won't necessarily be repaid in the same fashion, yet trust in the fact that it will be repaid  You give someone money, just consider it gone. In time you'll get a gift for the same amount and possibly more. That's RECIPROCITY!! God will bless you for the sake that you DID it from the goodness of your heart. The lord loves a cheerful giver. Doing unto others as you would have them due unto you is the greatest form of being a cheerful giver. So the next time you get ready to do something for someone ask your self "Am I expecting anything in return? or "Am I'm doing it just because I want to."


No comments:

Post a Comment